3.19.2013

Preparing for Easter

At first I thought I would just do the same Resurrection Eggs I did last year for Easter, slightly modified for Aria's greater capacity to learn this year.  But I was unsettled about it.  I couldn't figure out what was missing until I started thinking about what message I wanted her to get out of a Resurrection Egg-type activity.  Ultimately I realized I wanted to help her make connections about who Jesus is.  The baby God sent us at Christmas is the same one who dies on the cross.  He is also the guy who calms the storm, heals the blind man, and feeds 5000.  We sing about him in Jesus Loves Me and Zacchaeus.  And, he is the same one who made the whole world and lives inside our heart.  That last one will take awhile for her to grasp.  I'm not sure I can always wrap my mind around it.  So I came up with a plan to highlight some things from Jesus' life and also hit the significant details in the Easter story.  I have objects that fit in an Easter basket with some eggs.  We open a special egg and read and/or act out a story each day.  Here is my plan:

Monday 3/18 Jesus' birth; baby Jesus in the egg
Tuesday 3/19 Jesus stays at the temple as a boy; picture of temple in egg
Wednesday 3/20 Jesus is baptized; dove in the egg
Thursday 3/21 Jesus calls his disciples; 12 friends in egg(s)
Friday 3/22 Jesus feeds 5,000; bread and fish in egg
Saturday 3/23 Jesus heals blind man; man and mud in egg
Palm Sunday 3/24 Jesus' grand entrance to Jerusalem; donkey and leaf in egg
Monday 3/25 Judas gets 3 coins for betraying Jesus; 3 dimes in egg
Tuesday 3/26 Jesus washes the disciples feet; washcloth in egg
Wednesday 3/27 Last Supper; make loaf of bread together and juice for egg
Thursday 3/28 Jesus goes to garden to pray; praying hands in egg
Good Friday 3/29 Jesus dies on cross; crown, cross, and nail in egg
Saturday 3/30 Jesus' body put in tomb; linen cloth, spices, and rock in egg
Easter Sunday 3/31 Jesus is alive! empty egg
Monday 4/1 Mary tells the others about Jesus; Mary and flower(to show new life) in egg
Tuesday 4/2 Jesus eats with disciples; fish in egg
Wednesday 4/3 Tell others about Jesus; map and megaphone for egg
Thursday 4/4 Jesus goes to Heaven; cotton in egg
Friday 4/5 Holy Spirit comes upon disciples; flames in egg

We've done two days with great success in terms of Aria's enjoyment and understanding.  I'm looking forward to making many connections as we go along! 

No comments: