3.22.2013

No Cabin Fever Here

I've made it quite clear that I am a winter lover.  I also am not a fan of complaining about the weather.  Been there.  Said that already.  I will say I did notice the calendar turned spring, but the weather did not.  Am I excited for warmer weather, windows open, things turning green, plants blooming, and all the joys of spring?  Of course I am.  The main reason I love where we live is the change in seasons.  Each season brings great excitement for me.  But I can honestly say it doesn't really bother me that winter is still going on.  I mean, we went for a walk, not even in winter coats, at night in December to look at Christmas lights.  So why shouldn't it be below zero wind chills on the first day of spring in March?  Weather is unpredictable.  I just go about my business regardless of the conditions.  I do find it comical to compare year to year in the middle of seasons changing.  For example, check out this picture from March 20, 2012...


There is no way we could dress like that in March this year.  In fact, yesterday we bundled up in winter coats, hats, and gloves and went for a walk and scooter ride down the street.  First of all, I was amazed by Aria's quantum leap in scooter ability since last fall.  Second, we went two blocks and my face was cold.  Augie and Aria could have went on forever.  Half way back, Aria decided she wanted to run instead of riding her scooter and I had to jog to keep up.  This kid is fast!  It will be fun to be outside more and see some of the new skills she has at 3!

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of mention of "cabin fever."  I don't think I have ever really suffered from cabin fever and thankfully I think I've passed it on to my daughter.  We just don't get crazy cooped up around here.  I think some of it has to do with my homebody introvertedness.  I also know if I do feel like I need to go somewhere, we just pick up and go somewhere.  Grocery store, library, shopping, all kinds of kid places, it doesn't really matter where.  I do realize it is much easier for me to pick up and go somewhere with just one three-year-old in tow.  She can put on her own shoes and coat.  She climbs into the car and her car seat by herself.  She can also open the door and climb out, walk next to me without holding my hand, and obey my directions (most of the time).

I remember the days of an infant on a schedule and trying to plan all my goings and comings around eating and sleeping.  I see most all of my friends with their infants navigating that schedule and their preschooler(s) these days and I can understand why they might feel a little cabin fever.  Sometimes it just isn't worth packing everyone up to go out in the cold when you really need to be home in an hour, anyway.  It is one of the blessings of an only child. 

So, we'll just keep finding things to do around the house and we'll burst outside whenever the weather is ready.  I'm sure in just a few short months the weather complaints will switch to excessive heat blues.

No comments: