I've never been one that has taken jokes well. I don't really like a lot of sarcasm or teasing. I just don't take it well. I try not to dish it out because I know I would get upset if I got it back. There are some small jokes that are okay and easy for me to handle, but anything that has even a touch of mean, I don't like it. I'm just not someone who enjoys that type of humor. Therefore, I'm not a fan of April Fool's Day. When I was teaching, I never believed anything my students said that day. I'm usually skeptical of most everything on April 1 because I don't want to be the sucker who fell for the joke.
However, there is one particular April Fool's joke that I strongly dislike. It's the one where somebody pretends they are pregnant. I realize it is a 'good joke.' It is something people will automatically fall for because of the excitement of the news. But to someone who desperately wants to have a baby and can't, it's no joke. It is hard enough to listen to a real announcement of pregnancy than to have to endure fake ones. I kind of feel like a joke about being pregnant is saying, "it is so easy for being pregnant to be possible, I can really get everyone with this joke." But when it isn't so easy for being pregnant to be possible, it just hurts.
I realize people are doing it all in good fun. All the times I've heard the joke, I know people aren't trying to hurt me with it and I try hard not to take any offense. But I am hyper-sensitive to the situation. I know I can't expect people who are gifted jokesters to cater to my sensitivities, I just needed to get this off my chest after seeing and hearing several of these particular jokes today. One thing you can count on, you will never hear an April Fool's joke out of me!
No comments:
Post a Comment