For just about two weeks we were a two pet family. We have, of course, our beloved dog, Augie...
...whom we have had for seven and a half years and loves us unconditionally, follows us everywhere, and tolerates the most abusive treatment from a certain toddler (along with many kisses and hugs, too).
And we had Myrtle the Turtle...
...whom was caught by a friend of Grandma's and lived in Augie's swimming pool and would rather we had just left him/her alone.
Yet, Myrtle the Turtle was quite the hit! Aria went out to the deck every morning and said, "Good morning Myrtle Turtle. How are you today?" She was so very excited to look at him/her and talk about him/her. She might have touched him/her once, but mostly just enjoyed his/her presence. And, sorry for all the him/hers. Aria claimed "he" was a boy, but I just don't know how you tell that on a turtle and I wasn't going to explore to find out.
It was not feasible for Myrtle the Turtle to live in Augie's swimming pool on our deck forever, so last Thursday we went to the creek and set him/her free. We told Aria that he/she wanted to live with other turtles. I could tell she wanted to keep him/her, but I think it is still a little too beyond her to beg for a pet. It was most evident how much she enjoyed him/her when she was praying for her breakfast Friday morning. "Dear God, thank you for Rice Krispies, toast, milk, and Myrtle.........Tur.....tle (as she looked at the window and realized he/she wasn't there)."
I like turtles and it was fun to have him/her. He/she hissed at us and scrambled away as quick as possible whenever I made any attempts to put food in the pool or to pick him/her up. I think I like having my affection returned from Augie, even if it is in the form of kisses on my face sometimes.
Mostly, I learned we are pet people. Aria really loves animals and would keep anything for a pet, I'm sure. She definitely personifies all animals and enjoys watching them. It was a fun experiment and one I'm sure will happen again in some form or another!
No comments:
Post a Comment