4.13.2012

Finishing the Resurrection Eggs

About a week ago I posted about the Resurrection Eggs we were opening every morning.  Well, today was the last egg so I will finish up what they represent.  I think we will both be disappointed in the next couple days when there are no eggs to open.  Maybe I can come up with another activity that can relate to Bible stories for the week.  Hmmmm...I just got myself thinking...


Days 13-20 Bottom Row L-R, then Top Row L-R

13. Kind of hard to see, but there is a rock in that green egg.  The rock represents what covered the tomb Jesus' body was laid in.  This one was easy for Aria to understand because she has seen several pictures of the tomb in her various Bibles and books.
14.  The yellow egg has cloves in it to represent the spices the women were taking to the tomb to put on Jesus' body when they eventually discovered He wasn't there.  Aria really enjoyed 'playing' with the spices.  Not sure she really understood the whole put spices on a dead body, but the stories we read talked about it so she could follow along.  (Side note: the resource I used had #13 and #14 switched around and talked about the stone being rolled away.  I chose to switch them to represent the stone sealing the tomb.  Easier for a toddler, I thought.)
15.  This is the best egg of all....it's empty!  We read the Easter story (again) on Easter morning, then Aria opened the egg.  She looked at me and said, "nothing in there."  She seemed confused, but I reminded her it was because Jesus wasn't in the tomb.  Jesus is alive!  The light bulb clicked then and she yelled, "Jesus is alive!"  We didn't actually talk about celebrating Easter.  We talked about celebrating Jesus is alive!
16.  The purple egg has a strip of an old t-shirt.  This represents the cloth that was wrapped around Jesus that Peter and John found when they went into the tomb and discovered He wasn't there.  There was a great picture of Jesus' body wrapped in strips of cloth in her Bible, so Aria was able to understand what it was, but she wasn't too interested in it.
17.  I thought it was strange to have the nail at this point in the story, but in this case it represents the nail holes in Jesus' hands and feet.  When Jesus appeared to his disciples, Thomas didn't believe it was him.  So, Jesus told Thomas to put his fingers in the nail holes in His hands and feet.  There was another great illustration of this in Aria's Bible so we could talk about it.  Again, she didn't like it that the nail hurt Jesus.  It was nice to focus on the fact that He is alive and He doesn't have any pain anymore AND He takes away our pain!
18.  This blue egg did have goldfish crackers in it to represent when Jesus' cooked fish for breakfast for his disciples.  Aria ate them so I put in some different cereal for the picture.  Another part of the story that was easy to explain because of the great illustrations. 
19.  Up on the top row, the green egg had a map of the world in it.  Aria had no idea what it was and I tried to explain it to her.  I pointed to where we live and talked about how there are all kinds of people who live all over the world and we are supposed to tell them all about Jesus.  I love the text in her Bible that describes the Great Commission.  It really puts it in children's terms.
20.  The final, yellow egg had a cotton ball in it.  This represents that Jesus went up to heaven in a cloud.  Aria thought the cotton was pretty and fuzzy and liked playing with it.  The Bible had a great picture of Jesus in the clouds and also talked about how he would return in the clouds.  Not sure she could fully grasp that.  However, when I reminded her that Jesus lives with God in Heaven, she said, "and in Aria's belly!"  That sounds strange, but she was pointing to her heart and I knew that was what she meant.  She just calls her whole abdominal region her belly.  I was pretty impressed that she made that connection!

No comments: