4.12.2012
Special Job
Aria is a helper. I think it is part nature, part stage of life. She can be distracted from the depths of over-exaggerated whining by the suggestion of helping me with something. It was at a point much like that when I had her put away the socks as I was folding laundry. It was such a joy for her it turned into Aria's special job. Calling it a 'chore' sounds so much more negative. Ultimately, a chore is what it is. I'd like to refer to it more as a lesson in responsibility. Our church focuses on a different characteristic each month in it's children's programming. Last month the characteristic was responsibility. Even though the email I read was suggestions beyond Aria's age, it got me thinking that she was ready for some responsibility. Because she is so pleased to help and because we all must work together as a family to keep or house and lives in working order, I decided it was time for a special job. At first, I had to very consciously remember to not put away the socks so Aria could do it. A few times I got them back out. It was more work to create less work for me in the future. Eventually, I hope Aria can launder, fold, and put away all of her clothes, but that might be too much to ask at age 2. Although, I think putting away socks is the first step in that direction. It only took one explanation of her special job to get Aria on board with it. Now, I just leave the socks on our bed, where I fold clothes, and she is excited to do her special job as soon as she sees them. I don't have to ask her to do it and she does a great job! In the last couple days, a second special job has been added to her list; getting out the silverware and putting it on the table for meals. Again, it started as a distraction from whining and turned into her doing it without me asking. I'm so thankful for a helpful daughter and life lessons in all the small things along the way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment