1.24.2012

Black Bean and Corn Soup

There are all kinds of reasons I tried this new soup recipe.  Lately, I've been interested in eating healthier, buying more whole, organic foods, I like having at least one meatless meal per week, and I love cooking in the crock pot!  Plus, we love Mexican food in our house and black beans.  I actually bought some organic dry black beans in the health market at Hy Vee, so we tested out this soup and it was AWESOME!  Justin and I really loved it.  Aria was distracted by the cheese quesadillas I made with them and the fruit, but she still ate some.  It was easy to make and had a lot of zing!  I think you could make it as spicy as you prefer, but following the recipe exactly, I'd say it was medium on the hot-o-meter.  If you enjoy Mexican food and black beans, then check this out!

From the 12th edition Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book

2 1/4 cups dry black beans (1 pound)
1 10 oz pkg frozen whole kernel corn
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 to 1/2 tsp bottled hot pepper sauce
4 cups boiling water
1 14 1/2 oz can Ro-Tel

Rinse beans; place in a large saucepan.  Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Cover; let stand for 1 hour.  Drain and rinse beans.

In a 3.5 to 4 quart crock pot combine the beans, corn, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, coriander, and hot pepper sauce.  Pour boiling water over all.  Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.  To serve mash beans slightly to thicken.  Stir in undrained tomatoes. 

I also added some more hot water near the end because it was a little too thick.  I added some sour cream and cheese to my bowl, but also had it the next day without and it was great!

No comments: