1.04.2012

Resolutions

 'Tis the season for making resolutions.  While I think it is an excellent idea to set goals and resolutions, I am not about needing a specific day to make that happen.  In my opinion, if you have something you want to change in your life, start the very next day.  Don't wait for New Year's or your birthday or whatever excuse you make for a date.  If there is something you are motivated to change, get going.  In fact, I think starting a new habit or routine in the middle of the week is an excellent idea.  It gives you a few days to get started without the overwhelming long week, month, or year ahead of you. 

Now, a lot of people make a resolution at the start of the year to eat healthier, lose weight, stop smoking, etc. and they stick to it and make a big change in their life.  That is excellent.  If a new year motivates you, then great.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be a new year.  Set a goal or make a change anytime!  I went to the dreaded Wal-Mart today and found all the sales and advertisements about exercise equipment hilarious.  I bet they do make big money on that stuff right now.  Marketing people definitely know the seasons for everything. 

For me, I don't really have a resolution right now.  Are there things I would like to improve about my life, of course.  But I don't really have a specific goal in mind.  At the beginning of November, I changed my routine to exercising in the morning before Aria and Justin wake up instead of doing it at nap time.  I'm not really a morning person and I dreaded making the change, but I just thought it would work better for everyone's schedule.  I love how I feel the rest of they day when I exercise right away.  I love having nap time free to accomplish other tasks.  I don't love getting up in the morning.  However, I am really glad I started my new routine in November instead of waiting until January 1.  I've missed several days over the break, but it was no problem getting right back into it because it was already my routine.  So, if you need a change or have a goal, start now.  I guess you would be kind of cliche because it is the beginning of January, but if you have something else that needs tweaking in April, start then, too!

No comments: